[NEW FEATURE] Live Signals on CT 2.0 I want to take a look now! Close
Open

Exclamation Top 5 Market Moves of the Week - 14-18/01/13 !!!

Hi guys,
    Bogdan's new Top Five market moves are here! Check them out and find the most important market events for this week!

Originally posted by Bogdan G. for more info on these events click here.

1. Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke speaks

01/14/2013 – Monday at 9:00 pm GMT

2. UK Consumer Price Index (CPI)

01/15/2013 – Tuesday at 09:30 am GMT

3. US Core Retail Sales

01/15/2013 – Tuesday at 1:30 pm GMT

4. US Producer Price Index (PPI)

01/15/2013 – Tuesday at 1:30 pm GMT

5. US Prelim UoM Consumer Confidence
    01/18/2013 – Friday at 2:55 pm GMT

These are all good but I think earnings will dominate the markets this week. None of the data (I think) will change enough to make the markets move significantly in the face of a very important, much awaited, earnings season. And, this week is the big week for the financials. There are over 3 dozen large and regional banks reporting this week. The technicals look like the markets are ready to roll forward and upward but the bank reports are holding it back.

I agree with you Michael. This week only the US companies earning reports will be important, so we should follow closely the Dow and SP500 indexes and probably some stocks. Could you give us some ideas, which bank stocks could be the biggest surprise?

Agreed but the most traded companies will announce their earnings during the next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Green View Post
    I agree with you Michael. This week only the US companies earning reports will be important, so we should follow closely the Dow and SP500 indexes and probably some stocks. Could you give us some ideas, which bank stocks could be the biggest surprise?
    I dont know about surprises but the regional banks are where it's at for me. These banks are in better position, are better capitalized and are stealing market share from their bigger competitors. NOt to mention that the regional banks are posting actual earnings that are not created by creative accounting. Did any of you look at the BofA or the Citi report this week? It was ex itme this, one time charge that, and adjusted earnings were still not that great. I would look toward banks like FITB, USB, BBT and even some smaller banks like Iberia Bancorp. All good producers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogdan G View Post
    Agreed but the most traded companies will announce their earnings during the next week.
    earnings season has really just begun, even though it the official start was last week with Alcoa and even before that in mid December with Oracle and RedHat. All three of those companies is a good indicator for its sector and to a lesser extent the entire market BUT you are right, next week could be even bigger. We can't really make a call on how good or bad earnings season really is until another week or two. There are still a lot of companies to report and the coming week's calendar is fully loaded.

This past week was important because bank are a good reference point for the economy. The economy is made up of cash flow and the banking sector is where all the money is. Banks are important because they make a lot of money and control the cash flow. Another reason is that most of the banks report within a few days of each other making it an easy benchmark. We don't have to wait out the entire season to how the sector performed, we got it this week. Plus their earnings are derived from the consumers, business, housing and investments, four pillars of the economy. One way to check and see how a market is doing is to see how much of that type of business the banks are doing. On top of that their forward looking statements are a snapshot of business conditions and consumer credit markets albeit this year the banks did not give us much to think about. All in all though it was a good week for banks because they made some money but most important to me is that there doesn't seem to be any high risk activity going on. The big banks are getting there acts together and beginning to emerge from under the burden of the financial crisis and the small banks are chugging away building America one piece at a time.

Post positive expectations !!!

Yes, Michael. The earning season looks like it just begin. There are a lot more reports in the upcoming weeks and some of them could change the market. But you are right the big banks have made their job and will show good results most probably. This will fuel the stock market and inflate the indexes as well. So I am bullish on Dow for the next week