Createing a Strategy Tester System or something !!!

Due to work related thingies I decided to direct more focus on work and making my way to become a lead designer (software) within our company.
    For me this means I have to spend more time on developing my software design skills and there will be less time for trading.
    But I don't to leave it completely, nor feel like my gained knowledge will go de waste and I do need a design/development project wiht my sw design courses.

So I want to combine BO trading (or elements of it) with software design and contemplating the creation of a strategy tester system.
    Think of it like a sort of an automated backtesting tool. The most simple use case would be:
    • get forex data last month (or more)
    • enter strategy
    • run simulation
    • report win-loss

I already have some ideas and requirements in my head but it is alwasy good to ask around. So, if you could have access to such a backtesting (strategy tester) tool,
    what kind of feature would you like to see? e.g.:
    • for desktop, web, phone or all?
    • predefined strategies or defined by user?
    • what is reported?
    • show simulation or not?
    • find optimal settings for indicator?
    • or .............

Please be elaborate as possible even if you think it cannot be made. All input is welcome. Thanks in advance

PS: I am not trying to create something that will make you a winner always, since this is not possible for the simple single developer.

Hey there! I am no programmer but doesn't MetaTrader already include backtesting?
    OptionHeimer: I am become debt, destroyer of accounts!

Quote Originally Posted by Okane View Post
    Hey there! I am no programmer but doesn't MetaTrader already include backtesting?
    Yes MT4 has a backtester

Thanks guys. I didn't know that MT4 had backtester. I'm not web developer. I'm BO trader only.

Ok, maybe I should have stated it more clearly. I know of testing capabilities of MT4 and TradingView.
    However, this project is to improve on software design skills. I just wanted it to be related BO trading.

In order to design something I need requirements and that's why I posted the question.

so what you want is a strategy with the parameters for an entry that you can then program into a computer algorithm?
    "Great Googely Moogely" ... Frank Zappa

Twitter Hidden Content
    Facebook https://Hidden Content color="#0000FF">Google+ Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by ehenderichs View Post
    Ok, maybe I should have stated it more clearly. I know of testing capabilities of MT4 and TradingView.
    However, this project is to improve on software design skills. I just wanted it to be related BO trading.

In order to design something I need requirements and that's why I posted the question.
    The skills needed for MT4 are C++ and to get to know chart operations and how indicators fit in so people can download them and watch as they do their magic.

I have done a little bit of dabbling with MT4 by looking at other people's indicators and done some tweaks here and there.

The most basic requirement is for an indicator that is accurate more than it is fancy. Most of the master traders I know of don't use indicators they do pure naked chart trading.

Your target audience would be newbies and people on the rise who want a simple way to see when a signal forms then use Price Action to decide what to do with it.

regards, Ricky

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hodges View Post
    so what you want is a strategy with the parameters for an entry that you can then program into a computer algorithm?
    Something in that line can be one of the features. The most basic example (and most probably the first prototype):
    - strategy "price cross ma"
    - set a period for moving average
    - when price cross -> next candle in same direction? yes or no?

extensions might be:
    - for which ma period does strategy work best
    - for which nr of candles after cross does strategy works best

Just trying to gather requirements for a system that could be used for testing indicators/strategies

Rookie Member
    This is a great idea! You can address this idea to these guys http://s-pro.io/ and they can create you an application or a program for this. I think that this application can be useful not only for you. In the future, you can sell this app. The main thing is to correctly describe all the functions that the application must perform.