Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Candlestick confusion???? !!!

What is the difference between the hollow candles and the full candles after they have closed???? I was under the impression that the hollow ones were bearish (down) and the full ones were bullish (up). But today I saw hollow ones kept going up and vise versa......... hmmmmmm!!!

A solid (full) candlestick is red when the close is below the open. A normal (hollow) candlestick is red because the close was below the previous close and vice versa.
    Hollow and full candlestick is not that important; important r the patterns and signals

It has nothing to do with colors or looks!
    Those are just pre-settings. Right click on your charts and select properties and you will see you can set any colors you wish..

You can make ALL candles hollow or solid, you can make both bearish and bullish blue or both red. Colors are as per your OWN desire.

What you must learn though, is that bull candles open from below and close x pips or pipettes higher. Bear candles open from above and close x pips or pipettes lower. That's it,
    whether they are all solid and white doesn't matter...

Example of two charts here:

Above is EURUSD H1 and below is the EXACT same chart and timeframe and asset but blue and red solid. It's still the same thing:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	whiteredandblue.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	6568
    Live Webinar: Hidden Content
    Join My Skype Group: Hidden Content

Ohh god now I'm really confused. Here I am thinking hollow is down and solid is up and red is down and green was up!!!!!
    So what is the point of candle sticks then??????? To me now, u r just looking at the pattern of whether it is an up trend or down trend not what the individual candles look like. Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Ohh god now I'm really confused. Here I am thinking hollow is down and solid is up and red is down and green was up!!!!!
    So what is the point of candle sticks then??????? To me now, u r just looking at the pattern of whether it is an up trend or down trend not what the individual candles look like. Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!
    Told you already, read the post carefully again:

If a candle opens and closes anywhere above where it opened it means bullish (whatever the color, solid or no solid you have CHOSEN).
    So you can select Bullish = blue and pick solid colors for it.

If a candle opens and closes anywhere below where it opened it means bearish (whatever the color you have picked)
    So pick red for bearish and select hollow if you wish or whatever you want.

Now you know what's going on, on YOUR charts.

I think you totally missed my point, which was you can pick whatever color you wish so long as you know which one YOU PICKED for down/up.
    So of course solid can be up if you picked it to be UP. Just don't expect other people's charts to look like yours. Red might be down on my charts but not yours cause
    we picked different colors for up/down. So long as you understand how candles work, colors won't confuse you. But it helps to use different for up and down.

Hmmmm ok I think I get it. I now know i can chose my own colours and make it hollow or solid the way I want. It was just the candle itself and whether I think will it go up or down!! I'll get there one day!!!

Hmmmm ok I think I get it. I now know i can chose my own colours and make it hollow or solid the way I want. It was just the candle itself and whether I think will it go up or down!! I'll get there one day!!!
    yes that is correct, the up and down candles are what make the signals, you are what make them the colors they are. so long as you know that down days are purple or orange or puke green and up days are white or hollow or pepto bismal pink you are ok. UP is up and down is down, regardless of the color.

You can't know before hand whether it's gonna go up or down when a candle opens.

But what you should do is to simply stare at a chart. Look what happens when a candle opens and where it closes. You will notice which colors go up and which go down (depending on your own choice of colors).

Quote Originally Posted by Okane View Post
    You can't know before hand whether it's gonna go up or down when a candle opens.

But what you should do is to simply stare at a chart. Look what happens when a candle opens and where it closes. You will notice which colors go up and which go down (depending on your own choice of colors).
    Okane, well if that's the case there is no point entering a put or call because u won't know if it will go up or down. I thought that was what the candles are for, to be able to predict whether it will go up or down depending on what strategy u use????????????