Ruth's trading diary !!!

Hello everyone
    I am seriously hoping this is the start of my trading diary… in as much as I hope it is the start and not the end as well. I have spent two and half months… not long… I know… reading and learning.
    I have tried to combine 2 or 3 strategies that I liked… taking the best from each to have my own individual layout/indicators.
    • First thing I noticed was on I hour and 30 min charts when the 50 EMA passes through the candles … this often signals a reversal.
    • I like the use of the 6 or 8 EMA. If a candle closes ABOVE this line quite often the direction moves upwards on the next candle.
    • I look at Bollinger bands for support and resistance… and notice when candles are approaching the outer edges.
    • Volume is also taken into account and trading at those keys times like the opening of the market in the morning, and not around lunch.
    • I use the mid range EMAs to do my own take on the ‘fast moving averages’, ‘rainbow’ and one of Okane's (whose videos I especially enjoy) strategies, found on BOTS, they can act as a resist or support.

Anyway this morning… I took 6 trades on the currencies…. Only on a demo account as yet…. 4 of the trades were for 15 mins….. in hindsight I was correct on the direction… but fell foul of ‘noise’ so missed out. 3 of the 4 would have been ITM had I placed 30 min trades.
    2 more trades I placed for 30 mins were successful.

So this was my first ‘proper’ session.
    ps tried to add a screenshot... but it didnt work.
    Ruth

Hey, it's good that you started a diary.

Now let's see why you can't upload pictures!
    Do you have lightshot installed yet?
    Save the files as JPEG and then click the "insert image" button.
    Then select "from computer"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	insertImage.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	11.0 KB 
ID:	6380

Name:	fromcomputer2.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	6381
    Live Webinar: Hidden Content
    Join My Skype Group: Hidden Content

Name:	Screenshot_1.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	6384

Thank you for your reply Okane.... I have tried to upload my image according to your instructions... lets hope it works
    Ruth

ps it did!!

you can see my strategy here.... the 50 EMA is red.... the yellows are 15.20 and 26... but as they widen so the strength of the trend grows and they help as resist...... what do you think?
    Last edited by Ruth50; 01-16-2017 at 11:32 AM.

Good but are you sure you saved the picture as JPEG? Should be bigger, like this:

Name:	ExampleChart.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	6385

I don't use EMA's like that, there are some example videos, let's see:

https://youtu.be/2F62ZVrhlOM

more demo trades !!!

I have revised my strategy a little. I am trying out trades for 2 and 3 hours and use various time frames to get my signals. The indicators I use are:
    1. 50 EMA
    2. 8 EMA
    3. Bollinger bands with 20 SMA
    4. Stochastics

and on a different template the Parabolic SAR

I look for at least 3 confirmations of a signal.
    so three from these:
    a. the 8 EMA crossing the 20 either from below or above
    b. Bollinger bands widening
    c. General trend (of 50 EMA) either up or down.... then only trade in direction of the trend
    d. signal stronger if 50 EMA has crossed a long candle (green for a BUY option, red for SELL)
    e. the 20 MA and 8 EMA are wideningClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	6595

have tried once again to attach a file
    Ruth

The trade was taken SELL on the red arrow, for 2 hours.... to where there is a red cross...
    you can see the red 50 EMA has crossed a red candle.... the Bollingers are widening as are the yellow 20 and blue 8 EMAs.
    The general trend is down, and STOCHs are oversold.
    A 3 or 4 hour trade would also have worked.

Does this seem like i have the right idea?

I tried 15 trades.... 9 of which worked..... of those that didnt one was just WRONG... and the others needed a bit longer.... 3 hours, not 2.
    Thank you for looking
    Last edited by Ruth50; 02-15-2017 at 06:40 PM. Reason: needed to add more

Quote Originally Posted by Ruth50 View Post
    The trade was taken SELL on the red arrow, for 2 hours.... to where there is a red cross...
    you can see the red 50 EMA has crossed a red candle.... the Bollingers are widening as are the yellow 20 and blue 8 EMAs.
    The general trend is down, and STOCHs are oversold.
    A 3 or 4 hour trade would also have worked.

Does this seem like i have the right idea?

I tried 15 trades.... 9 of which worked..... of those that didnt one was just WRONG... and the others needed a bit longer.... 3 hours, not 2.
    Thank you for looking
    Hey. Your picture is so small, try uploading in JPEG format please! I think you are saving as PNG as I mentioned before.

Not sure which TF that is but regardless, looks like a good trade.
    Always look at previous history to see what expiry is good and set up a target like in this case (nearest strong support) so you
    don't take a too long expiry. So in this case, your expiry was perfect, because you can see there was a support there and from there on,
    price moved up or at least held in that region.

Another trade... better screenshot !!!

Another posting... with an improved screenshot I hope

Name:	GBPND 1hr.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	6602Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GBPNZD_2.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	6603

These charts show where i took the trade (the green arrow) and where it closed (red cross)

On the 1 hour chart.... * the trend was UP... shown by the 50 EMA rising
    * the Bollinger bands were widening * the blue 8 EMA had crossed the yellow 20 from below. * and the Stochastics were very high.
    On the 15 minute chart... you can see indecision for price dropping... with the Doji, and the 8 and 20 EMAs are widening

I had looked at the longer picture and the trend.

From other members... it would be nice to know whether these indicators are worthwhile...
    I quite like the Parabolic sar... on another screen to add confirmation.
    I am finding 2 and 3 hour trades work best, provided i have checked several timeframes.

NB.... does anyone else use TradingView and of so.... have they recently reduced the number of indicators you can have on a chart in the FREE version

NNB To Okane.... I really do appreciate you having the time to help me... I am hoping to keep practicing on a demo until I have 65 - 75% success.... It is amazing how, after months of reading, watching and taking in the good advice of yours Michael Hodges, Milos, Bogdan and co it slowing starts to sink in... and if you go back to earlier articles, books etc... what seemed alien back then, now makes more sense.
    So a big THANK YOU
    Ruth

Thanks for the kind words and con grats on getting the picture up!

PS it would be good if you could write down or include the asset you trade. I see it says something about NZD in the background but that's all I could figure.

Also, good trade there! A breakout trade.