Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How many demo trades before the real deal? !!!

First let me state that I know this question will probably give a wide range of answers. But I am just curious what the general opinion is.

To be clear I am still trading with demo account but I am aware that trading my own money is also part of the learning curve.
    So far I guess I have 70 undocumented trades and 90+ trades documented in a journal. Success rate of documented trades is around 62%.
    I feel this rate can approve and probably will with more experience.

At this moment I am in conflict, part of me wants to start trading for real and part of me says: you need more training first. Maybe this conflict will never be resolved haha.

Would be nice to hear who the real money traders here went along their trainingpath.

The correct answer is:
    It doesn't matter.

If you really want, I can give you some random numbers: 75488
    Or, 1347 or why not 3594.

We have another thread with the exact same question unfortunately I can't find it cause
    you have a range of different answers there.

But anyway, you are not demo trading for the numbers. You are demo trading to learn.
    So saying "289 trades" is enough or "xx" is just stupid. Some may learn after 100 trades, others
    whom I have talked to are still unsuccessful after years because they had the wrong approach or other reasons.

You want to learn these things (price action):

Understanding of how to interpret support and resistance based on history
    Understanding of Japanese candlesticks
    Understanding of trends lines (short and long term trends)
    Multi timeframe analysis
    Understanding of volatility
    Understanding of price patterns
    Understanding of Money Management
    …. and a whole lot more. (not to mention experience that comes with time)

Now here is the problem, you are not going to master all the above simply
    by trading on a demo account. Show me a 50 wins in a row on a demo, I am not that impressed.
    Show me one live trade that you made money on and give me 3+ reasons for why you took it and won
    and I will call you a trader.

*Just to be clear, of course demo trading helps and you should trade on the demo for a while.
    But your focus should not be how many demo trades you did. The focus should be learning at
    least to understand what the above is all about.
    Last edited by Okane; 07-07-2016 at 12:56 PM.
    Live Webinar: Hidden Content
    Join My Skype Group: Hidden Content

3. Thanks micheal01 thanked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Okane View Post
    *Just to be clear, of course demo trading helps and you should trade on the demo for a while.
    But your focus should not be how many demo trades you did. The focus should be learning at
    least to understand what the above is all about.
    Clear answer, sure demo trading is not just about numbers. Can have 100's trades a day when just guessing but where is the fun in that.
    Main reason I started a journal even with demo is to look back at my decisions and learn from silly trades.

Did stumble across a post/article somewhere and it stated you should at least have 100+ trades on 5 min, 100+ trades on 10+ and so on.
    So I was curious what BOTS opions are about the amount of demo trades

I don't think we have a standard minimum. I still trade demo even though I have live accounts too. I use it for fun, but also to practice new ideas and of course my weekly tips. It depends I guess, until you see a really good signal that you know is right, when all the indicators line up and you see the trade unfolding. . . then step over and make a real trade, just be careful about it.

Quote Originally Posted by ehenderichs View Post
    Clear answer, sure demo trading is not just about numbers. Can have 100's trades a day when just guessing but where is the fun in that.
    Main reason I started a journal even with demo is to look back at my decisions and learn from silly trades.

Did stumble across a post/article somewhere and it stated you should at least have 100+ trades on 5 min, 100+ trades on 10+ and so on.
    So I was curious what BOTS opions are about the amount of demo trades
    The more demo you trade will make you more comfortable. Like Micheal, many of of still trade on demo to test new ideas and strategies

Rookie Member
    Demo accounts can help you learn but live trading is totally different.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Mendez View Post
    Demo accounts can help you learn but live trading is totally different.
    The game changes when your money is on the line. Since it is part of the learning curve I will start real trading shortly

Demo trading is very useful when trying a new strategy, but you shouldn't stick too much to it. Real trading involves being cautious. Demo makes you too comfortable. You can't prepare for a mountain running race with steep hills and rocky technical descends if you train on a treadmill.
    "The goal of a successful trader is to make the best trades. Money is secondary." - Alexander Elder

DEmo is for trying out new trading strtegies and build confidence. After that shud use less demo

Started with real money and made my first real money trade and it ended ITM. Pretty exciting.

Did immediately notice a difference in mindset while analysing the chart and interpreting the signals. Other ball game for sure