Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Legendry Member Michael Hodges's Avatar

    The Answer To Life, The Universe And Everything !!!

    I just wanted to start a discussion on the number 42. My interest began as it is the answer to the ultimate question, a question that has yet to be asked but whose answer drives the day to day of our lives. I first became aware of it in the novel/story series "The Hitchhiker's Guide to Galaxay" and have since discovered it in every aspect of human culture.

    Please feel free to add your thoughts.

    MH

  2. #2
    Veteran Member randy1953's Avatar
    Hmm I'm lost can you share a bit more background on this number 42? Is it a Fib number or something..hell I can't even remember back when I was 42 what was going on..?

  3. #3
    Administrator Martin Kay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hodges View Post
    I just wanted to start a discussion on the number 42. My interest began as it is the answer to the ultimate question, a question that has yet to be asked but whose answer drives the day to day of our lives. I first became aware of it in the novel/story series "The Hitchhiker's Guide to Galaxay" and have since discovered it in every aspect of human culture.

    Please feel free to add your thoughts.

    MH
    You've just discovered Douglas Adams, one of my favorite writers (: I've recently read (again) "Last Chance to See", what a great book and writing style.
    @Randy - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrase..._to_the_Galaxy -
    The answer to this is very simple. It was a joke. It had to be a number, an ordinary, smallish number, and I chose that one. Binary representations, base thirteen, Tibetan monks are all complete nonsense. I sat at my desk, stared into the garden and thought '42 will do'. I typed it out. End of story.
    “Don't believe anything you read on the net. Except this. Well, including this, I suppose.” ― Douglas Adams

  4. #4
    Veteran Member randy1953's Avatar
    @Martin thanks but I was hoping for so much more!Lol

  5. #5
    Legendry Member milos's Avatar
    Martin explained. Thank you. I was confused who's number 42.

  6. #6
    Veteran Member Dan21's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Kay View Post
    You've just discovered Douglas Adams, one of my favorite writers (: I've recently read (again) "Last Chance to See", what a great book and writing style.
    @Randy - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrase..._to_the_Galaxy -
    The answer to this is very simple. It was a joke. It had to be a number, an ordinary, smallish number, and I chose that one. Binary representations, base thirteen, Tibetan monks are all complete nonsense. I sat at my desk, stared into the garden and thought '42 will do'. I typed it out. End of story.
    You just killed a mistery lol. o.O

  7. #7
    Administrator Martin Kay's Avatar
    ohhhhhhh sorry guys lol (:

    I'm a big fan, you can see from my signature. But that ofcourse doesn't mean the 42 has no meaning beyond!!! I'm just saying the reason DA choose 42 was random, yet, is there a simple answer to life ??? (reopening that discussion lol)
    “Don't believe anything you read on the net. Except this. Well, including this, I suppose.” ― Douglas Adams

  8. #8
    Legendry Member Michael Hodges's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Kay View Post
    ohhhhhhh sorry guys lol (:

    I'm a big fan, you can see from my signature. But that ofcourse doesn't mean the 42 has no meaning beyond!!! I'm just saying the reason DA choose 42 was random, yet, is there a simple answer to life ??? (reopening that discussion lol)
    I've been a big fan for a long time, y'all should check out the Wikipedia page on the number 42, it's pretty interesting, it pops up in a lot of places.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
3