Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

divergence in trend is your friend !!!

hi, i am having trouble finding teachings on how to use the divergence tool that is included in the trend is your friend strategy, i.e. settings and indications. can someone help me out here.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein (attributed)

thank you, is there a more newbie friendly indicator i can use as the divergence is recommended for experts. thank you

also, what time frame is good for the friend is your trend strategy! i am using the 5m chart.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Froot View Post
    thank you, is there a more newbie friendly indicator i can use as the divergence is recommended for experts. thank you
    Divergence is not an indicator, but rather a theory, a principle, a way of analyzing price movement by comparing it with an oscillator. However there are some indicators that automatically plot arrows when divergence appears. Feel free to google stochastic divergence or macd divergence (i am not sure about the exact name of the indicator).
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Froot View Post
    also, what time frame is good for the friend is your trend strategy! i am using the 5m chart.
    I trade on a 5 minute chart as well. Common belief is that the higher the time frame, the more accurate a signal is. I dont disagree and I dont agree with that. The best way to do it is to experiment.

thanks for the reply Bogdan, i notice the peaks and valleys are smaller on 5m chart compared to say the 1h chart. making me rethink the expiry time.

Umm, are you referring to the number/amount of pips in a 5 min valley/peak as opposed to one on an hourly chart? If Yes, then you are correct.
    If you are referring to the measurement in, say millimeters, all I can say is that I have never noticed a difference. In fact if you look at 2 different charts, each with different time frames (without knowing which is which), you will not be able to identify the time frame or to point the one with higher or lower time frame.

maybe what i actually mean is that the volatility on USDJPY may be low at this time! or I'm not drawing trend lines correctly? i am also trying to upload screenshots of my charts but i keep getting a error message when i try.

Yea, you are right about UJ volatlity. At some times, it is low. I dont know if your trend lines are correct until i see them. Anyway, a degree of subjectivity is always involved