Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

omg why USD dropping so heavily? !!!

Candles are going crazy right now, i have searched and found this calendar on the net

Click image for larger version.

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	2901

Can anyone please try to explain what happened at 19.00? Sure thing, i'm not going to trade anymore for today
    Last edited by Proteso; 03-18-2015 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Little adjustments to my superbad english, can't correct the title though

That'll be because of the FOMC. My advise: never trade around FOMC happenings.

Around like 1h before and 1h after the FOMC? Or it is better to skip the whole day? And are the next 2-3 days ok for trading?

No, it is best to keep track of what is going on from meeting to meeting, know that the meeting is happening, watch the charts and then trade when the signal is right. Usually you can get an idea before hand, and a confirmation afterward.

If there is no a gap when the news is released you can make a lot of pips. I mean if you trade spot. If you speculate right you can do the same with options. If you hate volatility and do not know how to use it, better stay away from trading on these days.

Ok, i will search past Fomc meetings on the graph and see what's happened, but i will also follow seasalt advice and not trade if i'm not super confident; sure thing i will check the economic calendar day by day as i wake up.
    Well, tbh i got a good signal when the price movement started, but I was to much scared to do something! Those candles were really huge on the 5 min graph, i had almost fall off the chair!

Thank you for the heads up

It is not that bad to trade around these events but you have to know the risks and to not react impulsively to them. During the news there is significant risks of slippage and bad execution, so it is the safest to trade after the news release anticipating the news and finding how the other traders are interpreting it.
    "The goal of a successful trader is to make the best trades. Money is secondary." - Alexander Elder

8. Thanks rsnowboard thanked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolyo View Post
    It is not that bad to trade around these events but you have to know the risks and to not react impulsively to them. During the news there is significant risks of slippage and bad execution, so it is the safest to trade after the news release anticipating the news and finding how the other traders are interpreting it.
    Well yes, i suppose that such a big price movement must be profitable in some way, the next time i will be ready and search for real time interpretations!

Of course there will be traders that jump in FOMC moves with success. It's just not recommended to newbie traders. News trading is hard and you'll need a lot of experience to make a steady profit on that. That's why I take a day off on these happenings. Maybe i miss some opportunities, but my mind stays clear and maybe I'll catch some fish at sea or so. The market will be there tomorrow again and one of the strongest temptations in trading is wanting to be in the market all the time.

For that reason I normally don't trade anymore from minus 1 hour to the end of the day on FOMC meetings.

Its advisable for newbies to avoid heavy news

12. Thanks Martin Kay thanked this post