Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

very angry What not to do -_-.....retarded !!!

So, I wanted to fund my IRA before filing my taxes, since I had already funded a little over 1000 in the beginning of 2014, I figured why not max out this year. Turns out, i was bad at math. I initially put in 3000 and hit the whole Next/Submit button. Fortunately, all hope wasn't lost and I realized my 5.5-~1 wasn't 3 and corrected myself with ~4000 contribution.

To or three days go by and my Mint.com account (highly recommend it. it's free and fucking awesome) alerts that I have like 500$ in one of my accounts. This is pretty normal for me: Lets just say I typically have 2 checking accounts that is in constant usage (really I have 5 for my crazy way of thinking and money management, but only 2 stays on my radar). 1 account is my daily bill payer and spender. Direct Deposit from work goes in there, Insurance Premiums from my other business goes there, and I pay bills from there. The account typically fluctuates between 5000 and 500 in a month. My other account gains about 1000 every month through auto transfers and is typically "emergency" fund. Once I hit 10000, i move out to one of my other accounts in my crazy money management science.

SO.....needless to say, when I saw that I had about 500$ in an account, i just figured it was my main account. No biggie right? Wrong....my main account was nicely stacked (bills hadn't been paid yet, but all my deposits came in) It was my "Emergency" account which is what I used to fund my IRA. Turns out, I did a double deposit: 3000 and 4000 = 7000. >_<. Not only does this exceed the IRS maximum for 2014, it's NOT what I wanted to do. But, fortunately, all I have to do is wait for the money to clear, put in a Reverse due to "Invalid IRA Contribution" or whatever form they call it, and then wait for the money to come back. Give or take about 2 weeks where I am missing 3grand (about 4-5more days I suspect).

So, that sucks right, but hey, atleast I still have money in my main account and bills can get paid. Well...Pay the bills, do quick math, pay a little bit more to my Credit Card, do some more quick math. Oh...I have enough to transfer 1500 to my Fidelity and buy some Apple/Micron shares. Lets do that. 1500 transfer....click next/submit....."Server Error Occured"....something about do not refresh..."Blashphamy" I say, Press the F5 button and retry....."Success, you've transfered 1500". So now I'm pretty happy, bought in on some lows, made a few gains, I love life...

"Mint.com Alert: You've been charged Overdraft Fee"....wait a minute? My math can't suck that bad. Let's take a look at what I did.....Wouldn't you know it, I transfered 1500 2x to my fidelity account. Funds won't clear for withdrawal though until 3/19....So not only is my main account in the neg (just did a deposit this morning to bring it up....gotta have a sock drawer fund for emergencies too), my Emergency Fund is low, and I have about 4500$ that's just sitting around, not doing anything and can't be used until I get em back.

Don't be retarded people.

Have a great weekend!

oh man, that sucks... Ouch I feel for you mate. Hope you took the time to rest this weekend, seems like the last week wasn't easy and sure does the coming

yeah that sounds real sucky,hope you get it worked out

Yea, I'm currently working with my bank to refund the Fees they've produced for "Courtesy Check Protection Fee". Honestly, the whole banking system needs an overall in my opinion. I remember when I was in Germany my bank was bought out by another, nothing really changed, but they added a Bounce Protection plan that was replaced with the current one. I remember buying a pack of smokes from one store (5Euro), a Cheeseburger and Beer from other (about 8Euro), and then decided to go watch a movie at the local theatre (15Euros all costs). Coincedentally, I didn't use my card again for a few days, and boy was I glad I didn't. WIth 3 separate charges, about 30Euros (35-45$ total), my bank "Covered" my deficit that it turned out I went into, and then charged me 30$ per transaction. So for spending 45 bucks, I got charged 90bucks, and was now in the whole 135$. I didn't know this though, until Payday came and when I looked at my account, it was smaller than I anticipated. I called them up and cursed them out. I would much rather being declined to use my card, and being made aware that I made a financial mistake, than to allow me to go unnoticed.

Fast forward to now, I've been waiting for the monies to clear to get back to my account, but I'm racing time as my automatic bills are being paid against my account and trying to reroute all the bills temporarily with limited success. Needless to say, I'm losing and currently in the whole $600+ and 250$ of it is from the Check Protection Fees. A bounced check/payment from any of my bills would at most charge 20$ on top, and then they would await for my initiation to continue. But not the bank, the bank waits for noone, and cares nothing about notifying people.

It's all a scam I say.

Slowly working out of this whole, and getting back up. Should have all my money back in order by tomorrow or the 19th at latest it seems. Til then, I'm moving money by cash just to beat the time-lag it takes to process.

sounds like a complicated mess.

Yea, luckily the bank refunded 5 of the 6 Fees, so i lose out on 37$ still but it's a savings compared to the 222$ that I raked up in fees. Today just knocked out a 1500$ deposit of petty cash I had at home to get myself in the green while I wait for the bank transfers to clear.

Really a damper on the 5500$ i'm trying to save for my June-July Euro trip. 4-5 countries in about 2weeks with no tour guide but painfully lost memories I have of roaming Germany drunk on the ICE.

I just had to pay an extra $65 bones because my water bill was late, they cut that thing off quick, grrrr..

I've yet to have utilities cut off. I know what it feels like to just wake up to find the power out due to an outage, so I can only imagine what it'd be like to have it off because someone physically turned it off. Strangely enough, I still can't figure out why my water bill is only at most 20$ a day. Someone said it may be that the apartment divides up the waterbill, but still, we're constantly running the wash/dishes/showers. I'd hate to see anything higher than my normal bill.

Quote Originally Posted by uaktags View Post
    I've yet to have utilities cut off. I know what it feels like to just wake up to find the power out due to an outage, so I can only imagine what it'd be like to have it off because someone physically turned it off. Strangely enough, I still can't figure out why my water bill is only at most 20$ a day. Someone said it may be that the apartment divides up the waterbill, but still, we're constantly running the wash/dishes/showers. I'd hate to see anything higher than my normal bill.
    I was just stupid and mailed it late, the funny thing is that the man came and did it while I was at home, I just missed seeing him... but Igot it back on pretty fast.

I feel for you! But I like the optimistic sense that you have created in this post. You are most certainly a person who’s got the potential to become a great trader. Stability, slight sense of humor and calmness are very essential.