MA versus SMA... is there a difference? !!!

I have 2 moving averages loaded on my MT4 charts but what I want is SMA.
    I can get that on Trade Interceptor for my Kindle ( which by the way is a vabulous free download for forex charts! ) but the lines are definitely not the same but close. I don't see SMA on MT4. Does it go by something else?? Thanks for you help!

Quote Originally Posted by drmare View Post
    I can get that on Trade Interceptor for my Kindle ( which by the way is a vabulous free download for forex charts! ) but the lines are definitely not the same but close. I don't see SMA on MT4. Does it go by something else?? Thanks for you help!
    So far as I know an MA and an SMA are the same thing, just a plain old moving average. I'm pretty sure you would have to specifically use an exponential, triangular or other MA to get a different reading.

That sounds right to me, I use the exponential moving average because it give weight to the front end of the data and hugs prices a little tighter.

In MT4, the different types of MA, ie Simple, Exponential, Weighted..... can be found under the "MA Method" tab in the Moveing Indicator, which you can choose either one.

I don't see SMA on MT4. Does it go by something else?? Thanks for you help!
    MA - Moving Average (usually "Simple")
    SMA - Smoothed Moving Average

Some guys use "SMA" when talking about a Simple Moving Average but to me SMA is the Smoothed version

Quote Originally Posted by Bogdan G View Post
    MA - Moving Average (usually "Simple")
    SMA - Smoothed Moving Average

Some guys use "SMA" when talking about a Simple Moving Average but to me SMA is the Smoothed version
    smoothed moving average, is that a moving average of a moving average? to me a "smoother" version is the simple where as the less smooth version is the exponential version.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hodges View Post
    smoothed moving average, is that a moving average of a moving average? to me a "smoother" version is the simple where as the less smooth version is the exponential version.
    The thing is that I never bother with how something is calculated. I mean, yea, I know that an Exponential MA gives more weight to recent prices, but I dont know how a "Smoothed" MA is calculated. It is smoother though...
    Anyway, a Simple MA is different than a Smoothed MA and on MT4 (and many other platforms I guess), you can choose between Simple and Smoothed (also Exponential and Linear Weighted).

Yeah, there are a lot of different kinds that's for sure, not even talking about time frames etc....